Sunday, August 25, 2013

Golf in the California Desert!

Wow what a difference humidity makes! It is as hot as an oven out here in Rancho Mirage, CA but even though it's scorching on the golf course I don't feel as if I'm breathing with a wet towel across my mouth like I often feel in the Southeast. I played a 72 hole Suncoast Series event at Mission Hills Country Club on the Palmer and Dinah Shore courses as preparation for the 1st Stage of the LPGA Qualifying Tournament (Q-school) the following week. Besides a few bad swings that lead to costly holes in round 1, I played fairly steady golf for the rest of the tournament. I am very glad I had the experience of the Suncoast event to help me develop a solid game plan and feel comfortable on those courses before playing them for 1st Stage next week. I was especially excited after my play in the 3rd round, not because I made a ton of birdies, but because I gave myself chances all day and stayed extremely patient while my putting was just a fraction off. I don't remember the last time I made 16 pars in a round of golf, so it was encouraging to see that I stayed committed to my game plan. Rather than becoming frustrated at the birdie putts that didn't fall and then making mistakes from trying to force them in, I disciplined myself to stay patient and continued hitting one shot at a time. As always it's a process, but I'm excited to learn about enthusiastic patience which I will continue to try applying to my game plans. Once again, I'm grateful for what I learned in competition!

Since finishing the Suncoast Series event at Mission Hills CC, I've been practicing hard in the days between that last round and the 1st Stage of Q-school. I'm definitely seeing improvements in my game and I'm excited about several elements, but I also know at the same time that I must not get ahead of myself. Remember, staying in the present is the key! Thanks to a good friend I have also been able to practice at Desert Willow Golf Resort in Palm Desert. This has been a very nice advantage for me because it is much closer to where I'm staying and allows me to have a more focused practice at a great range and short game facility. As the start of the LPGA Qualifying process nears, I am as appreciative as ever for all those who have helped, supported, or encouraged me in any form thus far in the pursuit of my golf career. It would not be possible otherwise, so thank you!

Stay cool and hydrated!

Brooke

Clubhouse view of #18 on Dinah Shore at Mission Hills CC

The Legendary Dinah Shore next to #18 green & the LPGA Walk of Champions

Approach to #6 on Dinah Shore Tournament Course

Sooo many bunnies & coyotes near Desert Willow's practice facility! You know what they say about bunnies...

Excuse me, Peter Rabbit, playing through!

I can now say I've witnessed a course with speed KNOBS instead of speed bumps, because apparently golf carts are really fast...

I'm guessing it must get pretty windy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment