Wednesday, May 15, 2013

U.S. Open Qualifying in ATL

Wow, busy busy busy! After flying back Thursday from my last tournament round at Reunion Resort in Orlando, I practiced in Greenville for 2 days then drove to Atlanta Sunday for a practice round at Druid Hills golf course. I'd never played it before but absolutely loved the long, challenging, hilly layout. Thanks to a great friend who helped me figure some stuff out on the course Saturday before I left, I was able to explain expectations to my caddy, Director of Instruction at the Cliffs, Sean Kennedy, so that we had nice communication during the U.S. Open qualifier Monday.

I played with the medalist, Jane Park, and really enjoyed competing for all 36 holes Monday. I was excited to play against a tough field of 95 that included a lot of LPGA players. We played basically non-stop for about 10 hours trying to grab 1 of the 8 spots into the U.S. Women's Open. I hit the ball well and fought hard all day, making 6 birdies and 1 eagle when I hit a 4 hybrid to a foot on a 511 yard par 5, but unfortunately also had a few tough holes that caused me to shoot 74, 74. I missed a playoff by 1 shot and missed a spot in the top 8 by 2 shots. I wish I had qualified but I'm proud of how hard I fought all day and how well I kept my mind in the moment. I definitely have lots of positives to take with me to Asheville this week!

BB

No comments:

Post a Comment