Monday, May 20, 2013

Symetra Tour in Asheville, NC

Well continuing with my busy couple of weeks, I drove to Greenville, SC Monday night after I finished playing in Atlanta, then drove to Asheville, NC Tuesday to register for the Symetra Tour's event that week, the Friends of Mission Charity Classic. Before teeing off in the 1st round Friday, I had barely stopped moving... From Orlando, Greenville, and Atlanta, to then all the events associated with the tournament in Asheville, I was having a blast. I enjoyed the Pro-Am cocktail party, giving a clinic at The Cliffs at Walnut Cove, and playing in the Pro-Am at CC of Asheville. There were even wild turkeys all over the mountainous golf course that I loved watching strut around. (For those that do not know, I was on a turkey hunting TV show in high school).  I was very confident in my ball striking and hit 14 greens in the 1st round Friday, but my score did not reflect that because I had 5 three putts all due to poor speed control. Luckily a great friend, along with my caddy, changed my putting setup and posture drastically after that round so that I could release the putter head more consistently.

Saturday I tried to feel like I stood much taller and crowded the ball in my putting setup (see pics below). I hit the ball beautifully, finding 16 greens and making 6 birdies on the way to a 69. I definitely had my chances but ended up missing the cut by 1 shot. Though it hurt to miss the cut by 1, ironically it was a very encouraging experience because I saw how well I can compete when I remove the horrendous 8 three putts in 36 holes. I am very grateful for my friend that changed my putting setup, my caddy that helped me believe in myself, and for all the people that came out to watch and support me. Also, another special thank you is due to the tournament sponsors and other individuals that helped me secure the invitation into the event. It was a great experience, a great week, and I'm moving on to become a better putter knowing I belong inside the ropes!!

Next up, the Connecticut Open May 28-29!

Brooke









No comments:

Post a Comment