Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tennesee Women's Open

Last week I drove to Crossville, TN to play in the Tennessee Women's Open at Stonehenge golf club. Stonehenge is a challenging layout with lots of doglegs and steep slopes in the greens. It is one of the four courses in the Fairfield Glade golf community. Members that lived on a different course in the golf community hosted me for the event. They recently retired in Crossville from Connecticut and are huge Red Sox/ Patriots/ Celtics fans, so we hit it off from the beginning. They had a lovely house and made me feel very welcome, visiting with me every day. In fact, the bed I slept on in their guest room was so comfortable I didn't want to leave. I also got to know the General Manager of Fairfield Glade pretty well at the player's reception and appreciated his support when he came out to watch me.

Besides the swarming gnats on the course, I had a nice productive practice round. My caddy and I worked on my new AimPoint process of reading greens and I felt comfortable entering the tournament. My putting was great in the first two rounds and I was very excited to feel confident with my putter. It was relieving to see that the process I had learned a little over 1 week before the tournament was already helping my game and that it was coming naturally to me. Using AimPoint has increased my feel on greens so my pace has improved and it gives me decisiveness on my starting line so I usually stroke more committed putts. Staying in the present and keeping it simple is always crucial to executing my game plan. I learned from a great friend that only by doing those things am I able to make committed swings at my targets, allowing me to play athletically and letting my physical game perform like I know it can. After finishing T-16th in the professional field, I headed back to South Carolina for a week of practice, continuing to improve my process. Next I'm traveling to Orlando on my birthday to play a Suncoast Series event on one of the Disney golf courses, Osprey Ridge. My goal there is to stay in the present... Stay tuned!

Brooke

 View from the elevated tee on the Par 3, 14th, which plays about 15 yards downhill


No comments:

Post a Comment