Tuesday, June 4, 2013

CT Open

I got back from the Women's Connecticut Open a few days ago and I'm enjoying a nice week of practice now before heading to Canada for my next events. The trip to CT was fun because I got to visit a lot of cousins that I had not seen in over a decade, and I was especially impressed that even my great uncles came out to walk the course and cheer for me! It was also a great tournament, as I finished 4th overall and 2nd in the Pro division to finally cash my first solid check as a new professional golfer.

I wasn't very pleased with my mental game in the first round, hitting many of the same types of misses because it was almost as if I expected them to happen. Though I tried to let go of any anxiety in a swing thought, I remained somewhat frustrated throughout that round, salvaging par from very thick rough. I realized later that night that I probably rushed too much when I started feeling frustrated on the course. Actually, I think I spent too much time making decisions, and then rushed through my pre-shot routine too quickly. The next day I arrived at the course with one single mission; to remain more calm or consistent in the rhythm of my pre-shot routine. I did not want to play any slower, but rather trust my instincts more in making quicker decisions, and then feel calmer while walking into the shot. Thankfully, that difference helped tremendously and immediately improved my ball striking. I was -3 under par at the turn, and although I had a few hiccups on the back nine I was proud of myself for staying in the hunt. I left CT feeling very encouraged and glad that I learned the importance of keeping a consistent pace in my pre-shot process. Next on the tournament schedule is a Canadian Women's Tour event near Montreal, then another in Windsor, right across the border from Detroit. I can't wait to tee it up again!

Have a great week!

Brooke







No comments:

Post a Comment